Every parent at least once in their lives has heard those two dreaded words every child mutters: “I’m Bored!”
Even the child who is most excited about the end of the school year will not get through the summer break without mumbling that phrase at least once. So what as parents are we to do to keep our kids stimulated and entertained over the summer months?
There are plenty of activities you can do once the initial fun phase of summer wears off. Here is just a brief list of ideas to help keep summer boredom from setting in:
- Plant a mobile garden – maybe in a wheelbarrow or other container that can be moved around. Plant vegetable plants, flowers or even start an herb garden that your children can be responsible for.
- Draw in butterflies by planting wildflowers around your lawn. Not only will it beautify your landscaping it will also decrease the need for mowing.
- Have a picnic with your child’s favorite teddy bear or doll. This can be something as simple as fruit and juice or tea and cookies. Plan to make this a weekly event – and even play dress up for a “formal” lunch!
- Kids love bubbles! Adults love bubbles! There’s just something magical about them that no one can explain so take a trip to the dollar store and pick up a large container and some wands that make some really unique bubble shapes. Spend a late afternoon/early evening blowing bubbles and chasing them with your kids.
- Don’t forget your local library. There are always reading programs in the summer and other special programs that you can involve your children with.
- Build a treasure box with your child. Find an old shoe box or other suitable container and let them decorate with crayons, paper cutouts and other craft items and then they can fill up their box with “treasures” they find.
You can do a lot of things that keep your children entertained without spending a ton of money in the process. Spend time with your children doing some of these activities or add your own ideas to the list!